So you have goods that need to be moved. But who can you trust to move them fast and safely, allowing you to keep your business running smoothly? You have probably thought to yourself, “I need to find local trucking companies near me,” but wondered how to do it and how much it will cost.
According to BTS, in 2018, the average daily amount of freight moved in the U.S was about 51.0 million tons, valued at more than $51.8 billion. The massive amount of cargo hauled nationally means there are numerous options when looking for a trucking company. It also means many companies provide subpar, overpriced service and leave your goods sitting at the port or in a warehouse for days at a time.
We’ll give you the information you need to find local trucking companies that will keep your supply chain strong without taking its toll on your bottom line.
Searching For A Local Trucking Company Near Me
Most metropolitan areas will have various trucking or freight forwarding companies working within them. A simple Google search for “freight forwarder in [my city]” should bring up some results. You can also try the yellow pages or speak to any businesses in your network that may use a freight forwarding service and ask them for a recommendation.
Once you have a list of local trucking companies, how do you decide which one to work with?
Well, this is where things get a little more complicated. You will want to take the time to research each company and make sure they can deliver what you need. When you have a deadline, it can be tempting to pick the first name that pops up. However, if the service is poor, you will have wasted time and damaged your business’s reputation.
What Should You Look For In A Local Trucking Company
Here is a quick checklist of things to think about in your search for a trucking company:
- Reputation: What is the company known for? Read Google Reviews, check their social media and look for any press information about them.
- Equipment: Check what their fleet looks like and if they have the capacity to ship the goods you need shipping. For example, if you are shipping something that needs refrigeration, make sure the company has the experience, equipment, and proper insurance coverage to do this effectively.
- Security: You want to ensure your shipment gets to its destination undamaged. When searching for a trucking company near me, ask them about their security procedures. Do they check shipments before and after to ensure there is no damage?
- Punctuality: Find a trucking company that has a reputation for being on time. Punctuality is important. Unfortunately, in shipping, late shipments happen, but you want to work with a company that doesn’t have late shipments through faults of their own.
- Safety: If a tragic accident occurs and you didn’t properly check the safety record of your trucking company you could be held liable.
- Cost: Look for a trucking company that charges a fair rate.
Related Article: TYPES OF SHIPPING CONTAINERS LOCAL TRUCKING COMPANIES USE
How Much Do Local Trucking Companies Near You Cost?
You know you want a fair rate for shipping your goods, but you don’t know what a reasonable rate is. The first step is getting multiple quotes from various trucking (drayage) companies and comparing them.
Some companies may try to overcharge, especially if they know you are new to shipping goods via truck. This is why it’s also good to know what the average trucking rate is.
Truckload and Drayage rates change regularly. There are also often differences in price for the types of goods you want to ship. However, a good baseline to be aware of is that in the U.S, as of March 2021, the average shipping cost is $2.71 per mile, according to DAT.
Related Article: TRUCKING COST PER MILE BROKEN DOWN
When searching for local trucking costs, it’s important to be aware that prices change for the following:
- Fuel cost
- The area you are in
- Whether you are shipping a full load or half a load
- And more
When finding a fair cost for a trucking company near you, getting quotes and comparing is a great option. You can also research current fuel costs, the going rate in your specific area, and when prices rise and fall during the year.
An Easier Way To Research: Draydex™
Here at Freight Management, Inc., we have a handy tool that helps our clients know they are paying a fair rate. Our Draydex™ tool gives you the knowledge to understand what the current spot market dictates for drayage at each ramp/port. This means you never overpay and don’t have to spend hours researching and calling for quotes.
Some Of The Benefits Of Our Proprietary Tool Are:
- Greater insight into what’s happening with your freight from port to destination
- Instant benchmarking and alternate route pricing
- Port and ramp pricing for all ports
- Rapid booking speed
- Carrier comparison
We’re confident you’ll save time and money if you use Draydex™ to find local trucking companies to fulfill your drayage needs.